The Boat & Yacht Buying Process
Considering buying a yacht? Here’s what you need to know.
- Contact a yacht professional. Find someone who has a rich background in skills and expertise…someone who knows about boats from the inside out. Your yacht professional will be in your corner, helping you find yachts that meet your boating needs and desires. Your boating professional will be in your corner negotiation your best interests every step of the way. He or she will also help you narrow down your search to specific boat sizes, styles, and brands.
- Think about what you want. Do you want a boat for leisurely cruises along the coast? Or are you looking for more of a racer? Start thinking about what kind of yacht will fit your lifestyle. The better fit, the more you’ll use it…the more you’ll use it, the more you’ll get out of it.
- Get your financing in order. Will you be paying with cash or using a loan? If you’re using financing, be sure to check out our financing page for more info on getting a loan for your yacht. Your yacht professional will be able to recommend several lenders for you.
- Choose the right equipment and customization. From flat-screen televisions and top-of-the-line stereo equipment, from watermakers and generators, from canvas and cushions, your yacht sales professional will help you choose the right equipment to fit all of your boating wants and desires.
- Consider an off-shore delivery or putting your yacht into charter. To save on sales tax, consider an off-shore delivery. Or, think about putting your boat to work for you in a charter fleet.
- Decide where you will keep the boat. Southern California is home to hundreds of marinas and yacht clubs. Your yacht sales professional will help you find the right slip for your boat.
- Take the boat for a test sail. Your yacht sales professional will accompany you on a test sail of your yacht. At this time, you’ll verify that the yacht handles the way you want it to. You’ll also ensure that all the systems on the boat are operational.
- Delivery Day! This is the day you’ve been waiting for! Your yacht sales professional will walk you through the boat and show you the key features and systems from stern to bow. You’ll even get help maneuvering your new yacht to its new slip.